Today, TriplePundit and the experts at Yum! Brands came together to discuss how one of the world’s largest restaurant companies is celebrating its successes, while continuously working to elevate enterprise-wide sustainability efforts. We heard from panelists Tracy Skeans, Yum! Chief People Officer; Roger McClendon, Yum! Chief Sustainability Officer; and Laurie Schalow, VP of Corporate Social Responsibility, on the company’s progress and vision for the future.
With nearly 43,000 restaurants in 130 countries and territories, Yum! Brands acknowledges its responsibility to be environmentally responsible corporate stewards. Reporting annually on corporate social responsibility (CSR) performance is a key part of how the company shares its sustainability journey.
Yum! Brands’ goal is to continue to build three global, iconic brands that people trust and champion. The company will release its 2015 CSR report next week, which will highlight performance in relation to overall strategy and governance, in addition to its four strategic areas of focus: food, people, community and environment.
During #YumCSR chat, we discussed the following topics, and much more:
- How the company is improving the nutritional attributes of its ingredients against the U.S. recommended daily allowance guidelines.
- How it’s building an inclusive culture among employees, franchisees and suppliers to reflect customer diversity, while nurturing the culture of engagement that attracts, retains and grows the best people.
- How Yum! is mobilizing customers, associates, franchisees and their families to alleviate hunger through awareness, volunteerism and fundraising.
- How Yum! is removing palm oil and plans to source any remaining palm oil used for cooking from responsible and sustainable sources by the end of 2017.
- How Yum! will divert back-of-house operational waste generated by restaurants in the U.S.
FEATURED GUESTS (All using @YumBrands Twitter handle):
- Tracy Skeans, Yum! Chief People Officer
- Roger McClendon, Yum! Chief Sustainability Officer
- Laurie Schalow, Yum! VP of Corporate Social Responsibility
About Yum! Brands, Inc.
Yum! Brands, Inc., based in Louisville, Kentucky, has nearly 43,000 restaurants in more than 130 countries and territories. Yum! is ranked #228 on the Fortune 500 List with revenues of over $13 billion in 2015 and is one of the Aon Hewitt Top Companies for Leaders in North America. The Company’s restaurant brands – KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell – are the global leaders of the chicken, pizza and Mexican-style food categories. Worldwide, the Yum! Brands system opens over six new restaurants per day on average, making it a leader in global retail development.